Sunday, April 19, 2009

Quick thoughts for Doctors out there

I'm thinking about the Doctors and how they approach things like Down Syndrome and other disorders that our children face. And I'm thinking if I could write a letter that all doctors would read it would go like this...

Dear Doctors, I realize that I have just had a brand new baby and from a medical stand point you believe that there are concerns, but please be gentle and kind about things when you talk to me. I am an intelligent and well informed mother and can't be lied to. But, think about what you are saying before you speak. Don't ever tell me that my child "Will not" or "Can not" do something. Telling me that my Down Syndrome child will never learn to read or write is NOT productive. Telling me that he will be wonderful in Customer service and can work at places like Walmart or McDonalds when he grows up is NOT productive. What IS productive is talking straight about the challenges he will face medically and developmentally without adding one thought of what he can't do. Changing the way you speak to people can go a long way in terms of what a child is able to accomplish. What if, for a minute I was not as intelligent or resourceful or informed. What would happen if I believed your nonsense about him never learning to read or write. Would I then fail him as a mother because I would accept that as a term of his life? Would I never push for that because I was told when he was one day old that it would never happen? Really, you need to learn to lift the spirits of mothers and fathers faced with a difficult diagnosis and explain that WE CAN teach him and learn from him and that he can be anything he wants to be with enough work. If we reach for the stars we might catch one. But if we simply don't try because someone told us that the stars are too far away then how will we ever know.
My son, the one that you have labeled as Down Syndrome, is just like my other children. As when we have a child born we don't know what tomorrow holds. We can only raise them and do our best for them throughout their lives. Some children grow up to be doctors, like you, and lawyers and scientists. And some, regardless of how well we raise them grow up to be drug addicts or serial killers. Really, it's a crap shoot every single time. So, everytime a child is born and raised there are no guarantees. None. So, please don't guarantee the failure of a child I have birthed. You have no idea what that child is capable of. Nor do you know what tomorrow holds. For anyone. Please remember that and tread lightly when you speak to parents about disabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment